New Mexico health officials announced today that a New Mexico man had been hospitalized since July 26th with botulism. The New York Times picked up the story from the Associated Press:
The 52-year-old man from New Mexico’s Sandoval County, whose name was not released, was hospitalized July 26 and is in serious condition, able to only wiggle his toes, state health officials said.
”We can communicate with him only by him basically moving his toes,” said Deborah Busemeyer, New Mexico Department of Health spokesman.
The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said a preliminary test showed the man tested positive for botulism, Busemeyer said.
The CDC had said earlier that, as of July 22, four people had been hospitalized because of the contaminated food.