Botulism outbreaks are rare. The ones I have done over they years have been in canned or bottled products. This is an interesting cluster.
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Public Health) warns against consuming local deer- antler tea due to botulism risk. Public Health has recently identified one confirmed and one suspected case of botulism occurring in adults. Preliminary investigation suggests that these cases may be associated with the consumption of a deer-antler tea product (photos attached) that was acquired during the month of March. Pending further investigation, Public Health recommends that all persons who purchased product similar to this (i.e., deer-antler tea provided in a sealed pouch similar to the attached photographs) during the month of March, immediately dispose of it.
Botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by a nerve toxin that is produced by the bacterium Clostridium. Classic symptoms of botulism include double vision, blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing and weakness. These are all symptoms of muscle paralysis caused by the bacterial toxin. If untreated, these symptoms may progress to cause paralysis of the respiratory muscles, arms, legs, and trunk. In foodborne botulism, symptoms generally begin 18 to 36 hours after eating a contaminated food, but they can occur as early as 6 hours or as late as 10 days. The respiratory failure and paralysis that occur with severe botulism may require a patient to be on a breathing machine (ventilator) for weeks or months, plus intensive medical and nursing care. The paralysis slowly improves.
People experiencing symptoms of botulism, who have recently drunk the tea, should seek immediate medical attention.
Seattle/King County Public Health is investigating an outbreak of gastroenteritis with abdominal cramps and diarrhea associated with Rancho Bravo Tacos at 1001 East Pine St, Seattle. Four people from a… Continue Reading
Here is the Vulto Creamery’s FDA 483 Inspection Report OBSERVATION 1 Failure to manufacture and store foods under conditions and controls necessary to minimize the potential for growth of microorganisms… Continue Reading
McCain Foods USA, Inc. announced today it is voluntarily recalling retail, frozen hash brown products that may be contaminated with extraneous golf ball materials, that despite our stringent supply standards… Continue Reading
U.S. Attorney’s office in Illinois was active this evening, and appears to have interest in protecting the food we consume. According to a press release: Ernest Griffin, 71, took bribes… Continue Reading
From about 2011 though the Summer of 2015 business was slower for The Food Safety Law Firm, which meant on average less people were sickened by the food they ate. … Continue Reading
President Trump seems to be spending most weekends at his “Southern White House” golfing. I wonder if he eats the food there or heads to the closest McDonald’s or KFC? … Continue Reading
Following reports of norovirus-like illnesses in people who report eating raw oysters from several areas in Washington and elsewhere, public health officials at the Washington State Department of Health have… Continue Reading
See, Chicken and Rice Guys E. coli Outbreak The Boston Globe reported last night reported that an E. coli O157: H7 outbreak had shuttered three locations of the Chicken & Rice… Continue Reading
News4 reports that a Chevy Chase, Maryland, couple who bought a salad mix from a Giant grocery store discovered a live scorpion in their package. Shanmukha Pranay Rajeev Jerripothula said… Continue Reading