Like many other parts of the country, Las Vegas and Clark County have been hit hard over the last months.
Just a few weeks ago it was four people in Clark County who became ill with Salmonella typhi, the bacterium that causes typhoid fever. Those four were part of a two-state outbreak (five ill in California too) believed to be a result of consuming a frozen fruit product called Goya brand mamey fruit pulp. Mamey fruit pulp, also known as zapote or sapote, comes from a tropical fruit grown in Central and South American countries and is often used in shakes and smoothies.
Now the Southern Nevada Health District has reported 30 cases of Salmonella Enteritidis since January of this year. According the health department, in the last eight months the number of residents who have become infected with Salmonella Enteritidis, which is commonly linked to eggs, has nearly quadrupled in Clark County.