All cases have been adults with 46 requiring hospitalization.
Findings of the investigation suggest that the source of the outbreak is focused on Oahu.
Eight individuals now live on the islands of Hawaii, Kauai, and Maui, and one visitor has returned to the mainland.
Onset of illness has ranged between June 12th to August 1st.
Here are some suggestions for the 168 (or more) sickened that I am sure HDOH officials are already using:
- Be cooperative – hepatitis A illnesses can last 2 – 6 months and victims are certainly not feeling their best, but their cooperation is vital.
- Thinking about what you ate or drank and where may well not be that productive – trying to recall what you ate or drank several weeks ago is difficult – I can hardly recall what I ate or drank a few days ago – however, try.
- Focus on where you have been eating and drinking in the 2 – 6 weeks prior to becoming ill – at home or out. Check your calendar, phone records and social media like Facebook and Twitter.
- Pull your credit and debit card purchases as well as any accounts you have at grocery stores or restaurants.
- As friends, co-workers or family what they might recall that you did over that same time.
- Keep in contact with HDOH. Its resources are stretched and it needs your support and assistance.