“Listeria is a really a nasty bug,” said Marler. “Listeria gets into the bloodstream and it causes enormous problems. Most of these people who died, died very, very painful deaths. They had neurological symptoms, physiological symptoms, they suffered lots of pain, and in some cases it was like losing their minds. That just that shouldn’t happen from eating fresh cantaloupe. It shouldn’t happen.” Bill Marler, a nationally known food safety lawyer in Seattle.
Programming note: For more on CNN’s investigation of September’s historic and deadly Listeria outbreak watch “CNN Presents” this Sunday at 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. ET on CNN. Here is part of the video: