On November 18, 2015, The Food Safety Law Firm, Marler Clark LLP filed a class action lawsuit against the fast-food corporation, Jascor, Inc. d/b/a McDonald’s Restaurant. The plaintiff, Christopher Welch, a Waterloo, New York resident, is a victim of hepatitis A virus (HAV) exposure after eating at the 2500 Mound Road, Waterloo location of McDonald’s on November 3 and November 7, 2015. He has filed on behalf of himself, as an individual, and on behalf of all those similarly situated. The case number is 49796.
On November 13, 2015, The New York State Department of Health and The Seneca County Health Department announced that customers who had visited the Mound Road McDonald’s location between October 31, 2015 and November 8, 2015, had been exposed to hepatitis A through an infected employee. The Health Department urged exposed individuals to obtain HAV vaccinations, as they were at risk to develop infections relating to the exposure.
As a result, upwards of 1000 individuals received post-exposure treatment, including plaintiff Christopher Welch. Post-exposure treatment is recommended for individuals who consumed McDonald’s food for up to two weeks after their date of consumption. Sound familiar?
- Alta Restaurant Hepatitis A Exposure Class Action lawsuit – New York (2013)
- Carl’s Jr. Hepatitis A Outbreak Lawsuits – Washington (2000)
- Chipotle Grill Hepatitis A Outbreak Lawsuits – California (2008)
- D’Angelo’s Deli Hepatitis A Outbreak Lawsuits – Massachusetts (2001)
- Friendly’s Hepatitis A Exposure Lawsuit – Massachusetts (2004)
- Houlihan’s Hepatitis A Exposure Lawsuit – Illinois (2007)
- Maple Lawn Dairy Hepatitis A Outbreak Lawsuit – New York (2004)
- McDonald’s Hepatitis A Outbreak Lawsuits – Illinois (2009)
- McDonald’s Hepatitis A Outbreak Lawsuit – Washington (1998)
- New Hawaii Sea Restaurant Hepatitis A Outbreak (2013)
- Olive Garden Hepatitis A Outbreak Lawsuit – North Carolina (2011)
- Quizno’s Hepatitis A Exposure Lawsuit – Massachusetts (2004)
- Red Robin Restaurant Hepatitis A Exposure Class Action lawsuit – Missouri (2014)
- Subway Hepatitis A Outbreak Lawsuits – Washington (1999)