South Africa on Monday declared an official end to the world’s worst recorded listeria outbreak after it killed 216 people and sickened more than 1,000 since early 2017.
Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi said no news cases had been recorded over the past three months.
Health officials announced in March that they had traced the outbreak to an Enterprise Food plant owned by Tiger Brands
At least 216 people died during the outbreak, according to the country’s National Institute for Communicable Diseases.
A total of 1,060 people contracted the disease, which is caused by bacteria from soil, water, vegetation and animal feces which can contaminate fresh food, notably meat.
The United Nations had said South Africa’s listeriosis outbreak was believed to be the largest-ever worldwide.
See press alert:
See last outbreak update: