Health officials were investigating an outbreak of salmonella poisoning at the Skokie Country Club in Glencoe. As of this morning, there have been seven laboratory-confirmed cases of the bacteria originating from the north suburban country club since June 10, officials said.
Salmonella is a group of bacteria that can cause diarrheal illness in humans. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, most people infected with salmonella develop diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness usually lasts up to a week and most people recover without treatment. In some people, however, the diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized. In these people, the CDC says, the infection may spread from the intestines to the blood stream, and then to other parts of the body and cause death, unless the person is immediately treated with antibiotics.