The Michigan Department of Community Health and Department of Agriculture said 12 cases of Salmonella Typhimurium infections caused by eating raw alfalfa sprouts have been reported in Kent, Bay, Genesee, Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne Counties. One of the 12 cases was found in Kent County, said Health Department Spokesman James McCurtis Jr.
"Eating raw sprouts is a known risk for exposure to Salmonella or E. coli bacteria," said Dr. Gregory Holzman, chief medical executive for state health department. "We want to educate people about this known risk in order for them to make informed decisions concerning their health."
State officials said everyone — especially young children, frail, elderly and those with weakened immune systems — should avoid eating raw alfalfa sprouts until the origin of the contamination is determined. Other types of sprouts are not involved, they said.