Learning Vine on Overland Drive in Greenwood shut down voluntarily on Monday. The closure followed the death of 2-year-old Myles Mayfield, of Greenwood, who died from hemolytic uremic syndrome, a condition associated with E. coli that can lead to kidney failure.
Since Myles’ death, the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control confirmed that there are eight cases of E. coli connected to Learning Vine. Health officials have not said if those with E. coli are children or adults.
Site reviews conducted by the state Department of Social Services’ Division of Early Care and Education June 4 found 12 violations at Learning Vine, according to results posted on the DSS website.
The violation areas pending correction are:
– Diaper changing, 24-month and younger room (x2)
– Improper medication practices
– Sanitation violations (x3)
– Facility restrooms (x2)
– Feeding, 24-month and younger room
– Food safety/menu
– Posted information
– Other health and safety
Learning Vine has a C in the DSS Division of Early Care and Education ABC Quality voluntary rating and improvement program, meaning it meets basic requirement, but C is the lowest of grades in the rating program.