People should not die from eating peanut butter. According to the Brainerd Dispatch and AP, health officials in Idaho and Minnesota are reporting two more deaths associated with a nationwide salmonella outbreak that has sickened more than 425 people in 43 states. That brings the total number of people who had salmonella when they died to five.
So, when is FDA, CDC, King Nut and Peanut Corporation of America going to respond?
1. Make sure ALL product is promptly recalled;
2. Do not destroy any documents;
3. The companies should pay the medical bills and all related expenses of the innocent victims and their families;
4. The companies should pay the cost of all related Health Department, CDC and FDA investigations;
5. Provide all bacterial and viral testing of all recalled product and any other tested product (before and after recall);
6. Release all inspection reports on the plants by any Governmental Entity or Third-party Auditor;
7. Release all Salmonella safety precautions taken by either King Nut or Peanut Corporation of America – especially after the 2007 Salmonella Peanut Butter Outbreak;
8. Provide the public with the Epidemiological investigation (with names redacted), so it is clear who knew what and when about the likely source of the outbreak; and,
9. Show the public what is being done to prevent the next outbreak.
The families of five dead people are waiting.