20 years ago today the State of Washington Department of Health sent out a press release announcing that an E. coli O157:H7 outbreak was occurring in the State and that it was likely linked to tainted, undercooked hamburgers served at local Jack in the Box restaurants.   Eventually, the numbers of ill would be over 600, including the deaths of four children and nearly 50 with acute kidney failure – hemolytic uremic syndrome.  Illnesses would be spread from California to Nevada and Idaho.  The lives of those families were forever changed.

Take the time to read Poisoned.

Watch August 12, 2011 on PBS. See more from KCTS 9 Connects.