E-COLI-300x200A 2-year-old boy from Greenwood, SC, has died from complications related to E. coli infection, according to Greenwood County Coroner Sonny Cox. Myles Mayfield reportedly died Sunday night at Greenville Memorial Hospital.

On Monday, the local school district posted a letter indicating that the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) was investigating a potential Shiga toxin-producing (STEC) infection at Springfield Elementary School.

“We take these matters very seriously,” stated Superintendent Darrell Johnson in the letter. “We are very concerned about the health and well-being of every student and adult at Springfield and in our district.”

Johnson said that the elementary school has been sanitized and that district officials would be working with DHEC personnel to monitor the situation.