Moyie Springs, Idaho-Evergreen Fresh Sprouts, LLC announced a voluntary recall of Alfalfa Sprouts and Spicy Sprouts because it has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled sprouts have been linked to a multistate outbreak of Salmonella infections.
As of June 27, 2011, a total of 21 individuals, including three hospitalizations, infected with outbreak strain of Salmonella Enteritidis have been reported from five states: Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, New Jersey, and Washington.
The recalled Alfalfa Sprouts and Spicy Sprouts were distributed in Washington and Idaho by direct delivery to four distributors and three retail stores. The recalled products are coded with Expiration Dates from 06 22 through 07 14. The products being recalled are identified as:
· Alfalfa Sprouts, Evergreen Produce, 4 oz. bag, UPC 8 38796 00103 7.
· Alfalfa Sprouts, Evergreen Produce, 16 oz. bag, UPC 8 38796 00108 2.
· Alfalfa Sprouts, Evergreen Produce, 5 lb. bag, no UPC.
· Spicy Sprouts, Evergreen Produce, 4 oz. bag, UPC 8 38796 00102 0.
· Spicy Sprouts, Evergreen Produce, 16 oz. or 5 lb. bag, no UPC.
This recall is being made with the knowledge of the Food and Drug Administration. While no samples of Evergreen sprouts have tested positive for Salmonella at this time, epidemiological evidence indicates that Evergreen Produce Alfalfa Sprouts and Spicy Sprouts are the common food eaten by the people infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella enteritidis. Tests of Evergreen sprouts are still pending.