Wesley Medical Center has confirmed two kids have died at the hospital due to E. coli contamination in the last few days.  No connection or sad coincidence?

Recently, the mayor of Liberal, Kansas said that 18-month-old Tanner Strickland, died last week. His brother was also contaminated, but has been released.  The medical centart announced that the other child, from Matfield Green in Chase County, has  died from E. coli over the weekend.

According to the CDC, E. coli is a common kind of bacteria that lives in the intestines of animals and people. There are many strains of E. coli. Most are harmless. However, one dangerous strain is called E. coli O157:H7. It produces a powerful poison. You can become very sick if it gets into your food or water.

In 1999 it was estimated that about 73,000 people in the U.S. got sick each year from E. coli. About 60 died. It’s believed that the number of illnesses and deaths has been dropping since then.  Little solace for two grieving families.