FDA is investigating illnesses associated with the product.
Oasis Brands, Inc. of Miami, FL is recalling select lots of various Lacteos Santa Martha products with Best by dates of 07/01/14 through 12/31/14, because the products has the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The recalled products were distributed in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina from April 1st thought October 14, 2014 to distributors and retail stores. The products can be identified by the batch ID code (best used by date) sticker on the label of the plastic bag of 07/01/14 through 12/31/14.
- Queso Seco Centroamericano (Dry White Cheese) 1Lb UPC 876593 001874
- Queso Seco Olanchano (Dry Cheese) 1Lb UPC 635349 000840
- Queso Seco Hondureno (Dry Cheese) 12oz UPC 876593 001690
- Quesito Casero (Fresh Curd) 12oz UPC 635349 000406
- My Queso (Latin Flavor Cheese) 1Lb UPC 635349 000406
- Queso Cuzcatlan (Salvadorean Flavor Cheese) 1Lb UPC 635349 000406
- Queso para Freir (Cheese for Frying) 12oz UPC 635349 000758
- Queso Fresco (Fresh Cheese) 12oz UPC 635349 000703
- Cuajada en Hoja Queso Casero Hecho a Mano (Fresh Curd) 12oz UPC 635349 000895
- Crema Centroamericana (Soft Blend Dairy Spread) 1Lb UPC 876593 001898
- Mantequilla Hondurena (Honduran Style Cream) 1Lb UPC 635349 000772
- Crema Nica (Grade A Cultured Cream) 1Lb UPC 635349 000468
- HonduCrema Olanchana (Olanchana Style Soft Blend Dairy Spread) 1Lb UPC 635349 000598
- Crema Guatemalteca (Guatemalan Style Cream) 1Lb UPC 635349 000819
- Crema GuateLinda (Guatemalan Style Cream) 1Lb UPC 635349 000390
- Crema Cuzcatlan (Salvadorean Style Cream) 1Lb UPC 635349 000444
The recall is the result of routine sampling by The Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Food Inspectors and subsequent FDA environmental samples that revealed the presence of Listeria monocytogenes. The company ceased production and distribution of the product as FDA and the company continue their investigation as to what caused the problem.