We filed two more lawsuits yesterday against the Ixtapa Family Mexican Restaurant in Lake Stevens, Washington. Laurie Bunney and Amanda Vest ate at Ixtapa on October 9, 2008 and became ill with E. coli O157:H7 infections in the following days. Both women incurred medical expenses and wage loss as a result of their E. coli infections.
In October of 2008, Snohomish County Health Department (SCHD) epidemiologists investigated the E. coli O157:H7 outbreak among Ixtapa patrons. Dates of illness onset ranged from October 7-17, 2008.
‚Ä®‚Ä®SCHD ultimately identified twenty-three confirmed and probable cases, and forty-one suspect cases of E. coli linked to the consumption of food at Ixtapa restaurant. Four confirmed cases were hospitalized, and one developed hemolytic uremic syndrome, a severe complication of E. coli infection that can lead to kidney failure.