Header graphic for print
Marler Blog Providing Commentary on Food Poisoning Outbreaks & Litigation

Talk about a mistake in a Headline

I woke up this morning to the Headline in the Chicago Tribune – Suit over death cites snack food – the story goes on to talk about the lawsuit we filed in New York on behalf a very ill, but very alive, little boy:

The parents of an Indiana toddler have sued the makers of Veggie Booty, claiming the recalled snack poisoned their child. The snack had been recalled last week after the company found a seasoning made with imported Chinese ingredients tested positive for bacteria. The lawsuit, filed in federal court in New York by David and Ashlee Allen of Valparaiso, Ind., says their 18-month-old son, Xavier, ate a bag of Veggie Booty on May 20. It alleges that three days later, he had a bout of “severe, bloody diarrhea,” and was diagnosed at a hospital with salmonella poisoning.

I think the Tribune mixed up the Veggie Booty case with this headline – Pet Turtle Linked to Infant Death – and story:

Turtles, especially those with shells under four inches, are still causing illness — and death — more than 30 years after their sale was banned in the U.S., the CDC warned. In March, a three-week-old girl in Florida died of an infection of Salmonella pomona two months after her family had been given a small turtle, the agency said in a case report. The Florida case is not an isolated one, the agency said. From October 2, 2006 through April 23, 2007, strains of S. Pomona closely related to the Florida strain were isolated from 19 patients in 11 states.