Header graphic for print
Marler Blog Providing Commentary on Food Poisoning Outbreaks & Litigation

Norovirus Class Action Filed Against Golden Corral

Customers of the Casper, Wyoming Golden Corral filed a class action lawsuit against the restaurant today, alleging they were part of a norovirus food poisoning outbreak that was traced to food served at the restaurant in December.  The lawsuit was filed in Federal District Court in Wyoming (Case Number 3CV-024-J) by The Ochs Law Firm and Marler Clark.

According to a Wyoming Department of Health (WDOH) report, at least 305 patrons of the Casper Golden Corral restaurant became ill with norovirus infections after eating at the restaurant between November 17, 2012 and December 19, 2012.  Norovirus infection causes nausea, diarrhea and/or vomiting and is highly infectious.  Investigators from the Wyoming Department of Health Infectious Disease Epidemiology Program and Casper-Natrona County Health Department stated in their report that they were not able to determine exactly how norovirus was introduced to the restaurant, but said ill food-handlers could have contributed to the spread of norovirus among Golden Corral patrons.  According to the WDOH, 31 employees who worked at the Golden Corral restaurant were infected with norovirus while working.

The complaint states that named plaintiff Paul Feyhl, a Casper resident, ate at the Golden Corral restaurant on December 8, 2012 and subsequently fell ill with norovirus.  According to court documents, the lawsuit was filed on behalf of Mr. Feyhl and “others similarly situated” who purchased food or drink at the Golden Corral Casper restaurant between November 20, 2012 and December 13, 2012 and whose exposure to norovirus was caused by:

  1. Exposure from diarrhea and vomiting from multiple employees of the Golden Corral
  2. Consumption of contaminated food and drink prepared by Golden Corral employees
  3. Exposure to, or close proximity with, persons who ate food or drink at the Golden Corral restaurant or were exposed to the restaurant’s infected employees.