Header graphic for print
Marler Blog Providing Commentary on Food Poisoning Outbreaks & Litigation

More on the Peanut Butter War

The one thing I really like about litigation is how information surfaces in the oddest places and the strangest times (thanks to super lawyer, Ron Simon).  Take the Peter Pan and Great Value Peanut Butter Salmonella Tennessee cases.  The CDC has updated its total of stool culture positive cases to 714 that includes three differing strains (genetic fingerprints) of Salmonella Tennessee.  Of the 714 cases reported from August 1, 2006 through September 20, 2007, the cluster (PFGE) breakdown is:

583 cases from cluster 0611ALJNX-1c in 46 states

111 cases from cluster 0701MEJNX-1c in 36 states

27 cases from cluster 0702MLJNX-1c in 20 states

7 cases in 6 states contain more than one cluster

73% of the ill people are Female, leaving 27% Male.  81% of the ill were above 18 years of age and 19% under 18.  20% of all sickened were hospitalized, with no reported deaths.  The backup for these numbers and the CDC Epi-Curve (date of onset of illness) of August 1, 2006 to July 19, 2007 is attached.  We have tested well over 1,000 jars of peanut butter and have to date had nearly 10 test positive.  We will be providing that data to the CDC in hopes of helping determine the true shape of the Epi-Curve.