Header graphic for print
Marler Blog Providing Commentary on Food Poisoning Outbreaks & Litigation

Vibrio fulvialsis Death Linked to Martin’s Super Market Shrimp

Shrimp.jpgThe St. Joseph County Health Department is investigating the death of a South Bend Indiana man related to recently recalled shrimp from Martin’s Super Markets. On February 17, Memorial Hospital alerted the county health department it had a patient with Vibrio fulvialsis.

Vibrio fulvialsis is found naturally in many seafoods including shrimp.

The recalled product is Harvest of the Sea brand Quick and Fit Raw, Tail On, Peeled and Cleaned 21 to 25 count, 16-ounce frozen shrimp. The health department tested a second bag of this shrimp that was in that man’s freezer and determined it also carried Vibrio fulvialsis.

  • Paul

    Bill, what is the country of origin of the shrimp ??

  • Dear Mr. Marler,
    Knowing your reputation for accuracy, it is regrettable that you chose now to post a story that is so sadly out of date and false. You posed this story (“Vibrato fulvialsis Death Linked to Martin’s Super Market Shrimp”) on March 8; but two full days earlier, on March 6, the FDA had already concluded there was no connection between the shrimp and the unfortunate, but isolated, death of one man in Indiana. The Indiana Department of Public Health and the local county public health department confirmed this. News stories with banner headlines along the lines of “FDA declares shrimp safe to eat” were also widely reported on March 6 and 7 by the local media in and around South Bend, Indiana and are available through Google and other search engines. The head of the St. Joseph’s County Public Health Department has also been widely quoted in the media as pointing out the deceased had a number of serious, ongoing and life-threatening illnesses that most likely contributed to his demise late last month. Finally, there have been no reports anywhere in Indiana or elsewhere of anyone becoming ill from eating shrimp, including the deceased’s wife, who is reported to have eaten the same shrimp at the same time as her late husband.
    I hope you will take your earliest opportunity to take down or correct your blog. Thank you.
    Steven Fink
    Lexicon Communications Corp.

  • Tamara

    I’m hating that the news reports say that the man died because 1) he had a weakened immune system due to other health problems, 2) the bacteria is common in seafood, and 3) he didn’t prepare the shrimp properly. So I learn from this that if I’m not 100% healthy I shouldn’t eat, and the seafood I purchase is so full of bacteria I must cook it in a particular manner else I’ll be sickened, and in either case it’s my own fault. Fabulous.
    I do applaud the grocery store for yanking the product as soon as they were informed of the man’s death.
    Paul, the Harvest of the Sea web site says that the origin is listed on the label. So I guess it varies ?

  • Paul F Schwarz

    Lexicon is in crisis management according to your website. Attack the messenger always works doesn’t it. Tainted shrimp contributed to the death of this man. Who do you represent or will you not divulge this information? My father ate listeria tainted cantaloupe and died. Was this my fathers fault? Are you trying to say to this man’s family that it is too bad that he died because of tainted shrimp?
    Section 51 Row 1 Grave 3

  • Minkpuppy

    Good grief, the man was diagnosed with Vibrio and the shrimp in his fridge tested positive with the same bacteria. The shrimp was part of a recall for said bacteria. I’d say it’s pretty conclusive the Vibrio contributed to his death, other health problems be damned.

    Are you also attacking the St. Joseph County Health Department, Mr. Fink? I suppose they fabricated the lab tests linking your client’s shrimp to the unfortunate deceased victim. Give me a break.

    The food industry needs to lose the blame the victim attitude. It doesn’t work. Ask the families of the victims represented by Mr. Marler.

  • Tamara

    Steven Fink, shame on you for posting inaccurate information. The FDA didn’t say that there was “no connection” between the shrimp and the Indiana man’s death. The FDA merely said that if the shrimp is cooked “properly” (do we all know exactly what this is ?) most people will not get ill.
    You mistakenly assume that if two people eat the same food and only one becomes sick, then the illness is not due to the food. You’re wrong. Bacteria is not always evenly distributed throughout a food, one portion can have it while another portion doesn’t.
    Apparently you’re not concerned with accuracy, although you claim to be.