Header graphic for print
Marler Blog Providing Commentary on Food Poisoning Outbreaks & Litigation

The below says it all about the risk of visiting Petting Zoos

BE VIGILANT ON E. COLI SAYS MUM
A MOTHER whose toddler daughter almost died after contracting the E.coli bug has issued a warning for parents to be vigilant.
The 29-year-old woman and her 18-month-old daughter were both admitted to South Tyneside District Hospital in April with the 0157 strain of the infection.
The youngster’s condition worsened and she was diagnosed with Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome, which caused her whole body to shut down and her kidneys to fail.


She was transferred to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary where it was feared
she may need to be put on a dialysis machine.
Thankfully, that did not prove necessary and she was released after two weeks.
But the youngster, now 22-months, will have to be medically monitored for the rest of her life.
Today her mother, from South Shields, who has herself made a full recovery, passed on advice to other parents.
Before she and her daughter were diagnosed with the bug they had made two visits to their GP displaying classic signs of E.coli, including severe diarrhea.
And she is angry that they were not tested for the infection earlier.
She said: “The Department of Health gives advice that with any incidence of diarrhoea, E.coli should be considered but it was only after we went to A&E that we were admitted and tested.
“Anyone else who finds themselves in our situation should insist that tests are carried out immediately.”
It is believed that a visit to a farm was the source of the E.coli in the case.
The mother, who did not wish to be identified, added: “Any visit to a farm should involve lots of hand-washing, especially for under-fives, because they’re more likely to be putting their hands in their mouths.
“Parents should be vigilant and take no chances.”
By PAUL MYLES-KELLY
paul.myles-kelly@northeast-press.co.uk