State health officials announce that a middle age woman from San Diego County has been diagnosed with botulism. Authorities are trying to determine if the 51-year-old San Diego County woman’s illness was caused by consuming a Castleberry product.
Health officials said Friday in a news release that the sickened woman reported buying and eating a can of Kroger Chile With Beans prior to getting ill in early July. The woman was hospitalized afterward and is now recovering at home.
“The confirmed case of botulism poisoning in San Diego reminds us of the serious health risk posed by this toxin,” said Dr. Mark Horton, the director of the California Department of Public Health. “Californians should remain vigilant about not consuming the recalled products. If you have the recalled product, discard it immediately.”