Health officials now say more than 100 people reported getting sick after eating at an Applebee’s restaurant in suburban Syracuse.
The Onondaga County Health Department says it has confirmed seven cases of Shigellosis among people who ate at the Applebee’s in Camillus in early March. Shigellosis is a bacterial infection associated with consuming water or food contaminated with fecal matter.
Investigators are focusing on citrus — either lemons or limes — used in food or in drinks, but they haven’t identified the source of the bacteria – hint – it is a fecal bacteria.
Health officials say they’ve advised 52 people to get tested. It will be several days before the results are available.