Since the news first broke of E. coli illnesses tied to an Orange County buffet-type restaurant, we have received several calls from folks who believe that they have been sickened. We are investigating those claims.
When I first heard about an E. coli outbreak tied to a buffet-restaurant, I must admit I was not too surprised – foodborne illness outbreaks certainly have been tied to buffets and salad bars over the years. A few cases we have done:
Finley School District
Gold Coast Produce
Brook-Lea Country Club
Old South Restaurant
Wyndham Anatole Hotel
No new cases yet reported in E Coli outbreak – But local health officials aren’t ruling out possibility of finding more victims.
Orange County health authorities confirmed that the diners tested positive for E. coli O157:H7, the same deadly strain that recently sickened hundreds of consumers in a string of outbreaks around the country. Orange County Health Care Agency officials said Tuesday that all seven customers so far identified as having E Coli ate at the Towne Center Drive restaurant on March 23 or March 24. Though the investigation is ongoing, the outbreak is expected to be one of the largest ever in Orange County. The seven people who contracted food poisoning are recovering, local health authorities said today. The group includes six children and a person in his or her 70s. Three of the ill people had to be hospitalized.